[texbirds] birding Lake Tawakoni

  • From: Richard <rdkrsh@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 11:54:08 -0400 (EDT)

Like most of  the state birding Lake Tawakoni has been very slow.  I just
located a Kentucky Warbler today a bird singing below the dam near the Van
Zandt/Rains Co. line .Usually there 5 pair in the lake vicinity by mid-April
and this one so far is it.   Migrants have very slow I count the species of
migrant warblers on one hand.  Also other migrants have been slow to show up as
well.  I have missed Yellow Warblers completely this spring and Swainson's
Thrushes have been in  very low numbers but picked recently.   We have no shore
so no shorebirds.  In other words it has been grim over this way.  Even Osprey
numbers have been low. I am going to keep going out but the weeks weather looks
as bad as ever.  Today I had wind gusts to 25 mph.  Not good for birding at
all.

Richard Kinney
Edgewood, Tx