[texbirds] avian pox question

  • From: Tripp Davenport <tripp.davenport@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 21:16:54 -0600

last year at our school feeder we observed two chipping sparrows with grotesque
tumors in the area of the eyes. This year we have three house finches, 1 female
and 2 males with the affliction, the female has a growth on her eye that is so
large that it appears to be a second head! Both males are affected but not as
severe. The female has survived since September 5 when we first saw her. The
males came in later, one has a large growth covering the eye. The other male
has a knot like growth on his nape and appears to have affected areas in his
mouth. He is the most ill of the three although his growths are not as large.
After doing a bit of research, I believe the growths are caused by avian pox
virus. My question is, how do I prevent the disease from spreading to other
bird species at the feeder? So far all gold finches, chippingsparrows, and
siskins appear unaffected. Anyone else have diseased birds at their feeders?

Tripp Davenport Uvalde Texas