[texbirds] Zone-tailed hawk

  • From: Alton Patton <adewittpatton@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 23:18:40 -0500

The hawk family were found and photographed this afternoon at Colorado Bend SP.
The nest is in an oak tree across the river from the last parking area south of
the park office. This is the parking area for the boat ramp, presently out of
the water. At the end of the parking area opposite the boat ramp there is a
picnic tale. The nest is directly opposite about the 4th bumper block from the
picnic table.

One of the adults soared over me as I drove down and went to the nest. Both
adults were at the nest with several babies. One was quite large and sitting on
the edge of the nest-surely about ready to fly.

At one point one of the adults flew directly down to the river and caught a
small bird. This bird stayed in the shallow water long enough to give me good
pics including several as it took off and flew back to the nest with the kill.

A. D. Patton
College Station

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at