[texbirds] Zone-tailed Hawks, Colorado Bend SP

  • From: "Sanchez, Isaac C" <sanchez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 22:57:03 +0000

Through TEXBIRDS we had heard about the nesting pair of ZTHAs with 2 fledglings
at Colorado Bend SP, but the latest report was already a month old.  Hoping
that the nesting pair would still be around, my wife and I headed out to
Colorado Bend SP this morning for the first time.  It was almost exactly 100
miles from our home in Austin to the Park entrance.  We got down to the spot
where the nest was suppose to be and immediately heard the juveniles calling
for food.  It was easy to spot the nest, but hard to see the young birds across
the Colorado River.  The adults were not around, but after about an hour one
adult flew by and after about 2 hours another adult showed up with some chow.
I got some very distant photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaaccsanchez/sets/72157634822218950/

Earlier, I also was able to finally get a photo of a Bobwhite.  This brought my
North American Big Year total to 511 with 230 birds photographed in Texas:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaaccsanchez/sets/72157632513641635/

Directions to ZTHA nest:  After entering the Park you will drive about 7 miles
on a dirt road.  Just before you come to the river, you will see the Park
Headquarters on the right.  Turn right just after the headquarters and go about
a 1/3 mile until you see a sign that says “Spicewood, for day use.”  Turn left
into a parking lot.  There is boat ramp there and the nest can be seen across
the Colorado about 100 yards down river from the boat ramp.  I think these
hawks may be staying for a while.

Isaac Sanchez
Austin