[texbirds] Zone-tailed Hawk: very brief visit, did not return to roost at Frontera Audubon

  • From: SeEtta Moss <seettam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 20:49:35 -0600

First let me apologize for that machine-language message this afternoon.  I
sent it from my new tablet and it apparently reverted to the language of
it's birth instead of English that I typed it in.
When I arrived at Frontera Audubon Center at mid-afternoon no one had
reported any Zone-tailed Hawk sightings.  Late this afternoon I spotted a
Zone-tailed Hawk perched in a tree north of Audubon Frontera.   I went
around the vegetation that obscured my view, and in the less than 30
seconds it took the hawk had flown off.

A group of 9 other birders and myself waited until dark (thanks to Audubon
Frontera employee Chris Warren who stayed late to accommodate us)  in view
of the trees in which a Zone-tailed Hawk has roosted the last 2 nights but
it did not show up.  Interestingly, at 6:10 p.m. as was getting dark a
raptor that resembled a Turkey Vulture flew down low around circled around
us.  One birder said he thought he saw yellow on it's face and another said
she believed she could see barring on it's tail as it flew over her.  It is
possible that it was a Zone-tailed Hawk checking out the people in the area
(250-300 feet away) where it's roost was located and choose not to land.  I
did one last check at 6:25 p.m. (good moonlight so I could see the trees it
had used) but it was not there.

SeEtta Moss
Colorado birder staying in Pharr
Blogging for Birds and Blooms magazine @