[texbirds] Zone-tailed Hawk today at Frontera Audubon in Weslaco is an adult

  • From: SeEtta Moss <seettam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 21:54:52 -0600

Ok, I misidentified the Zone-tailed Hawk seen in the afternoon on Dec 26 as
an adult.  The Zone-tailed I found this morning at Frontera Audubon in
Weslaco is an unmistakable adult--it has white bands on it's tail.  I have
uploaded photos that show this onto my Birds and Nature
blog<http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com>
.
I have an iffy spot of a Zone-tailed Hawk on a roost at 6:15 p.m.--I missed
it flying in and it was too dark to see features, it was in a tree near
where I have seen a Zone-tailed Hawk roost previously but I wouldn't bet a
lot of money on this one.

I imagine that some here may not be familiar with Frontera Audubon Center.
It provides safe roosting for about 300 vultures, mostly Turkey Vultures,
in the winter at least for the last several years.  The emphasis is on the
safe place to roost as I understand that a large group of vultures that
tried to roost on a lake north of here met with very upset locals who
petitioned (presumably USFWS) for permission to shoot some to discourage
roosting.  I suspect there are occasions when area residents don't bother
to petition for 'take permits'.  It seems to me that since Zone-tailed
Hawks fly with vultures that they would find Frontera Audubon also a good
place to roost.  As long as these Zone-tailed Hawks are not disturbed here
I would see no reason for them to move their roosts.

Frontera Audubon has other nice birds including at least one Black-throated
Green, female American Redstart, Nashville, Wilson's, Black and White,
Yellow-rumped Warbler in addition to a number of Orange-crowned Warblers--I
saw all of these today and several times in the past week.  I saw a Blue
Vireo here a few days and a vireo spp today in addition to at least one
White-eyed Vireo.  Also today a Red-shouldered, Red-tailed and Cooper's
Hawks in addition to the Zone-tailed Hawk.  I have seen 2 Green Kingfishers
there this week.

SeEtta Moss
Colorado birder currently in Pharr
Blogging for Birds and Blooms magazine @