[texbirds] Yesterday (05/16/12) TX-48 (Cameron Co.) boat launch: shorebirds and some surprises

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 08:25:05 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Late yesterday (05/16/`12) afternoon we birded the TX-48 boat launch area and report here the highlights, including two nice surprises. We had come here primarily in search of shorebirds, and their species included a nice surprise that we had not previously found at this site. What follows were deemed the highlights of our visit, which include species beyond shorebirds.

The shorebird species were: BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER (1), WILSON'S PLOVER (2), KILLDEER (2), AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER (1), BLACK-NECKED STILT (4), WILLET (est .18-20), SPOTTED SANDPIPER (1), RUDDY TURNSTONE (6, at least), SANDERLING (1), and WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER (1).The latter was a nice surprise, for we had never previously seen this species here. It foraged largely amidst lines of grass-like vegetation growing from the water or on a sandbar), bringing the shorebird species to 10.

The waders were: ROSEATE SPOONBILL (1 in superb, brilliant breeding condition), SNOWY EGRET (2, apparently attracted to food stirred up or aroused into motion by the spoonbill, tended to stay close by or follow it around), and GREAT EGRET (1). The later species also seemed attracted to the small, finger-like tidal pool of the former two species, but it appeared to find no suitable food there.

Additionally, we found ROYAL TERN (est. 10), CASPIAN TERN (1), GULL-BILLED TERN (8), and LEAST TERN (1). Several BLACK SKIMMERS were distributed about the area, usually in small groups).

A second surprise greeted us as we prepared to leave this site, another avian species that we had not previously encountered there, CHIHUAHUAN RAVEN (1). We were delighted to see this species because we had earlier yesterday (see our report of late yesterday evening) seen one along Old Port Isabel Road, but this somewhat shy species flew off quickly on discovering our presence, making us a bit unhappy because we had hoped to be able to study and photograph it at this closer range than we had usually been afforded. Our good fortune late yesterday was that this species was found standing atop a picnic table at the TX-48 boat launch site, right beside our vehicle, its loose neck and head feathers blowing about exposing their bright white bases. It subsequently gave us ample photo opportunities as it sat in good late-day sunlight with the gentle wind exposing the white bases of various up-front feathers. It was gratifying to get photo documentation of this trademark characteristic of this species. This raven was noticed just as we had prepared to leave the area, and its presence fully remediated the regrets we had carried on account of the quick disappearance of this species earlier in the day along Old Port Isabel Road. That was a fun way to end a nice day of birding.

Rex and Birgit Stanford
McAllen, TX Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds