[texbirds] Yep, Blue Jays abounding

  • From: "Rhandy Helton" <rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 21:25:34 -0500

The same thing happened in the Junction area last Fall, except maybe more this
year. Blue Jays have moved into the area in numbers. There are usually a few,
very few, in town during the summer. The area along the South Llano River out
at the state park is ringing with the sound of Blue Jays and I never get them
out there during any other season. As Dr. Arnold said I was also thinking food
availability, as the native pecan crop and acorns from mostly Live Oak are in
abundance. Last year I had them consistently all the way to Telegraph as you go
toward the headwaters of the S. Llano River and mostly associating with the
native pecans (smaller pecans mostly) within the river floodplain. A single
Blue Jay has been seen recently in the Tucson, AZ area creating some excitement.
Rhandy J. Helton
Junction, Tx.