[texbirds] Yellow-green Vireos at Blucher Park, Corpus Christi

  • From: Petra Hockey <phockey@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 20:29:17 -0500

Texbirders,
The number of Yellow-green Vireos in Blucher Park, Corpus Christi, has
increased to at least 5 although 3 are tiny, naked and orange-skinned. I spend
a wonderfully peaceful, cool and moist hour and a half quietly observing the
family which went about their business of brooding, collecting food and feeding
youngsters without the least disturbance. One parent would spend long intervals
on the nest, then fly off to collect food. Seconds before returning to the nest
she/he would give a contact call which made 3 orange heads and necks stretch
out to just above the rim of the nest cup in anticipation of the next meal. I
watched a changing of the guards keeping the young warm and 2 adults bringing
food to the nest. A wonderful heartwarming experience that I consider a special
early birthday present.

Petra Hockey
Port O'Connor, TX