[texbirds] Yellow Rail? Panhandle

  • From: Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 16:17:54 -0500

Greetings,

Today, while surveying private property in the eastern panhandle, my coworker
and I flushed a small rail from the thick grasslands. I immediately was drawn
to white flashes in the middle of the wings and yelled "Yellow Rail". The bird
landed, but we were unable to flush it again. I thought the bird was meadowlark
colored, but my coworker says it was a darker shade than that. My question: was
my assessment of this bird correct or was this a juvenile Sora? I saw no pale
in the tail, but I was too distracted with the bright white in the wings.

There was rain all night associated with this cold front. I imagine this is why
this bird was in the grassland. I am also certain that this was a rail....
unless it was a female King Quail like the debacle Ohio birders just faced.

Cameron Carver
Lubbock, TX

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at