[texbirds] Yard birding, finally feeder birds including a FOF painted bunting

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 13:57:36 -0600

Over the last couple of days, there has been a surge of birds at the
feeders. The goldfinch flock has gone from 3 to a couple of dozen.
Over the weekend, I noticed a strange? bird but only had silhouette looks
and no real idea if it was different. Today it cooperated and fed many
times as well as bathing several times.

So my first FOF (First of Feeder) painted bunting. It is probably a
youngster without a whole of the neon green in the back that adult females
show. Great addition to the list of balcony birds.

Speaking of balcony birds, the barred owl male is hitting the window more
often but luckily he has moved to an early evening whapping time. However
when he and the female chat a few feet from my window at 2am, the novelty
wears off a little after 20 minutes of hooting.

Robins and waxwings are very scarce since the young cooper's hawk started
hanging around. He tried for goldfinches yesterday but kept going so I
could not tell if he was successful but his feet were within a foot or so
when they went out of sight.

More pine warblers and they are starting to sing. More yellow-rumps too but
no singing yet. Only a couple each of ruby-crowned kinglets and
orange-crowned warblers. No sparrows. But the more birds that are about the
more can be attracted.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston