[texbirds] Woodcock(deceased)-Sunset Valley

  • From: "Robin Dennis" <rdennis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 11:23:12 -0600

I found  a dead bird on my walk today at Sunset Valley (Austin).  It appears to
be a Woodcock – the beak is intact and the feathers on the head are a lovely
chestnut with black barring.  Lots of chestnut feathers with fine black barring
over the remains.  I have never before seen a Woodcock in Sunset Valley.  I
imagine that one of the local hawks picked it up at the pond (1/4 mile distant)
and dropped the remains in the field.  (I have some photos but no way to post).

Also saw 7 Robins today.  My first Robins this year.  Seems strange that I am
just now seeing them.

Do you report dead birds on EBird?

Robin Dennis
Austin