[texbirds] Re: Wood Storks, flamingos, Pauraque Martins etc.

  • From: "Judy Kestner" <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 20:10:33 -0500

Speaking of Wood Storks, on Sunday I was one of four people to marvel at a
flock of about 50 Wood Storks on a pond on the Joe Fulton Trade Corridor in
northwest Corpus Christi.  The pond is near the intersection of the Corridor
and McKinzie Lane, close to the new Texas State Veterans' Cemetery.

The storks were accompanied by many Snowy and Great Egrets, White Ibis of
all colors and a lone White-faced Ibis.  There were 6 Blue-winged Teal --
strikes me as late for them, but that pond is a pretty little place that,
were I a teal, would entice me to stay as well.

We drove out into the countryside looking for Horned Larks and wouldn't you
know it, on our return trip to this same pond about 5 hours later, we drove
a little further down the Corridor and found three of them, perching low on
sticks or roots that were sticking out of the gravelly berms.  There's no
place like home.....

Judy Kestner
Calallen (Northwest Corpus Christi)