[texbirds] Re: Wood Stork Location Near Houston

  • From: ddbrdfrd@xxxxxxx
  • To: ddbrdfrd@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 13:22:45 -0400 (EDT)

Texbirders,

Based on the numerous responses I received about Wood Stork locations near
Houston, it seems as if the San Jacinto Monument area to the east of Houston is
the most reliable.

Ray Porter has agreed to let me post to texbirds the email he sent to me off
line.  There were several out of state folks and few in state folks that asked
I let them know about the responses I received.

Brandon from CO will be heading out to the monument 19 August.  Thanks to all
that replied to my request about Wood Stork locations.

David Bradford
Houston, TX

San Jacinto Monument Park has had a flock for the last week or so. I was there
today and saw about 30 in thre different locations within the park.1. at the
monument itself going toward the boardwalk into the marshy area ... on the left
before the sidewalk curves, behind the tall trees, there is a dead tree which
has a few standing in it2. follow the road to the "causeway" and make the
circular parking "lot" at the end. Look toward the monument and the storks have
been in the dead trees in the water on opposite shore3. there is a parking lot
where those trees are. park and go to water's edge, look to left and follow
shore then look over brush until you see large waders in what appears to be an
impoundmentToday I saw well over 300 White Pelicans in one large fleet, which I
assume was roosting. After I peaked at them, they decided to separate into
several smaller squadrons.Good luckRay PorterHighlands Tx