[texbirds] With regards to Steve Gross

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 07:17:04 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
I did not know Steve Gross nearly as well as I would have liked ... I only
began running with the TOS crowd fairly recently ... and did not get to 'bird'
with him as much as I would have like.  It was, to me, a singular honor to be
invited to his 'after' parties at the TOS meetings and, from those parties, I
do know that what he enjoyed, he enjoyed thoroughly!  If he liked something
(music, wine, birds, words) you could bet that he knew a lot more about it than
he might initially let on.  He was absolutely fantastic when it came to kicking
back, listening to the conversation, and, when the moment was absolutely right,
dropping the perfect comment.

I feel that, aside from what we do to officially honor Steve, the best way to
honor his memory is to keep him in our hearts and in our minds and do our level
best to discover what we love, to know what we love, and to share what we love
with others.

I have no deep fascination with wine but I toasted his memory with a glass or
two last night (having a pretty good idea what he would have thought about the
'absolute plonk' that I have in my house) and listened to some fine guitar
music.

Fat Tony