[texbirds] Winter Wren rattle call

  • From: Javier <javsterkayak7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 23:13:19 -0600

Hello Texbirders,

There's a Winter Wren at the Edinburg Wetlands (rarity in the area) and I hear
it do a rattling call just like the one in this link.
http://www.xeno-canto.org/184651

Sometimes it's prolonged and pretty loud.

This weekend I heard the same rattle at McKinney Falls SP without seeing the
bird and I didn't hear the "jimp jimp) calls. Winter Wrens are regular at
McKinney Falls in the winters, so what I'm wondering is if anyone has
experienced this rattle, uses it as a way to id, or if any of the other wrens
make the same sound?

This is my first real winter experiencing this species so I'm reaching out to
the folks that have them around every winter. All I've read about through
conversations on this list serve are about the "Jimp jimp" call.

Thanks for your help,
Javi Gonzalez
San Juan, TX

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at