[texbirds] Re: Winter Warbling Vireo

  • From: Nicholas Block <nlb.birder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 06:43:43 -0600

Hi TexBirders,
Steve and I did indeed observe a Warbling Vireo at Brazoria NWR during the
Freeport CBC in 2005 (12/18/2005).  I believe we got the "Bird of the
Count" award for it. :-)  It came in with a number of other birds to my
screech-owl tape.  I couldn't believe it!  We tried pretty hard to turn it
into something else, but it was a straightforward Warbling Vireo...no
wingbars, dull coloration overall, pale lores, pale supercilium, etc.  It
was pretty cooperative and allowed great looks.  It did not have the darker
cap and yellower underparts that I associate with Brown-capped Vireos.  As
far as western vs. eastern Warbling, I probably speculated that it was
likely a western (partly based on the fact that I found a Plumbeous Vireo
on the same count a year or two before), but I can't imagine that I would
have been comfortable identifying it to subspecies.  Without a ton of
comparative experience, I'm not sure anyone would be.  Anyway, I'm not sure
if a 12/18 bird would really count as a winter record, but it's close.

Good birding,
Nick Block
Villa Park, IL