[texbirds] Wilson's Warbler in Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 13:05:56 -0600

Greetings All:
I decided to spend the cold part of the morning along the Canyon Lakes of
Lubbock and the warmer part of the morning at Clapp Park.

I started the day with an hour of birding at Mae Simmons Park where the
star of the show was a stunning male Wilson's Warbler. This is a very late
date for the species to be in the Lubbock area but I did get one halfway
decent picture which I have put in with the eBird report.

Other highlights at Mae Simmons Park: 2 Carolina Wrens, 1 Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher, and 1 Orange-crowned Warbler.

I then spent a little over an hour where the highlights were 2 Wilson's
Snipe, 1 Eastern Phoebe, 1 House Wren, 1 Hermit Thrush, 1 Swamp Sparrow, a
mixed flock of 27 meadowlarks that included (by call note) at least one
Western Meadowlarks and (by call note) at least 2 Eastern Meadowlarks, and
7 Pine Siskins.

I then spent a little over an hour at a surprisingly slow Clapp Park where
highlights included 1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 1 Brown Thrasher, 2
Orange-crowned Warblers, 1 male Common Yellowthroat, and 3 Pine Siskins.

Nothing was added to my Clapp Park list for the year.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock