[texbirds] Re: Wild speculation of transgulf migration

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>, "1 Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 14:03:51 -0400

Fred -

No, a tail wind is a tail wind - it simply allows them to move across the
ground more quickly.    If a bird can only maintain a sustained flight speed
of, say, 40 mph, and the tailwind is at 50mph, it will be flying at 90mph
ground speed, but from the bird's viewpoint it will still be flying forward
through the air around it at a  40mph airspeed.   If it tries to turn around
and go INTO the wind, then it has a problem.

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi), TX
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx