[texbirds] Why I like birding in my region - part two

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 20:18:17 -0500

Greetings All:
After the eagle adventure at Muleshoe NWR I headed on south to the
metropolis of Morton (Cochran County).

One of my favorite spots in Morton is the city park which features a small
pond (I could throw a brick across it) with a tree-festooned island in the
middle.  This island has kicked out an amazing number of good migrants over
the years ... and the pond gets some surprising waterbirds.

Upon my arrival, I noted a small green job (probably an interesting
warbler) bolt from a patch of tall weeds on the near shore to the island.
Binoculars in hand, I strode boldly towards the weedy patch, hoping to get
a closer look at the little green job.  As soon as I hit the edge of the
weeds, a half dozen or so small birds burst out of the weeds and headed for
the island - including one adult male Lazuli Bunting, one adult male Indigo
Bunting, and one adult male Painted Bunting.

I'm sure that there are plenty of places in Texas where one can score this
particular trifecta but I warrant that Morton City Park is one of the least
likely looking spot for such a magical manifestation of migrants ...

... and my region, by dint of drought and very spotty and ephemeral patches
of vegetation, is full of such gems.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock