[texbirds] Re: Whooping crane censusing revisited, bird id in the paper and ocelots.

  • From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 07:39:27 -0500

I'm getting really tired of the potshots being taken at the FWS personnel
who deal with the Whooping Crane issues on the wintering grounds.
First, let's assume that we could determine the number of cranes was
actually at the low end - 178.  How would that change the efforts of the
staff?  Well, since they have been directed to preserve enough wintering
habitat to support 1,000 cranes, that would give them more time to reach
that goal.

But, let's assume that we could determine the number of cranes was actually
at the high  end - 362.  How would that change the efforts of the staff?
Well, since they have been directed to preserve enough wintering habitat to
support 1,000 cranes, that would give them less time to reach that goal.

FWS currently has enough habitat under their direct and indirect control to
support about 500 cranes IF the current preserved habitat can be
maintained, something that is currently uncertain at best.

FWS has a fixed amount of funds to put toward meeting their
responsibilities.  How many of you have written to your elected federal
representatives to push for more funding?  How many of you have donated
time and/or money to help make up the shortfall?

Lastly, whether there are 178 cranes, 362 cranes, or any other number in
between, has negligible impact on fulfilling their PRIMARY mission -
MAINTAINING HABITAT.

The goal is to save the species.  FWS can help with that on the wintering
grounds ONLY by saving habitat.  Know the exact number of cranes is
currently of minimal value in achieving that goal.

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM, Joseph Kennedy
<josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> There was an article in the Houston Chronicle this morning about how the
> whooping cranes did at Aransas this last winter.
> After much work during the season, the refuge staff was able to determine
> that there were between 178 and 362 birds there with a guess of 257 which
> is about the average. The range of the population is more than low
> estimate.
>
> That is saying the guess has a 40% error factor which seems large for a
> scientific study which will be used to make vital decisions for the cranes
> future. When I did statistical studies, it was hard to justify a 3% error
> rate but that was for real stuff not just endangered birds. If somebody
> went out and shot 20 birds for a gumbo feast, they would never be missed in
> this regimen.
>
> There was also an article on the Laguna Atascosa ocelot population which is
> up to 13 with a new kitten that posed for a wildlife camera. Makes a great
> shot and they should publicize it like the baby pandas.
>
> And a week ago the chronicle reprinted an article about quail hunting from
> the Dallas paper which had been printed more timely.
>
> However, the local Chronicle outdoor writer illustrated the bobwhite
> article with a great picture of a harlequin quail. Which is sort of close.
>
> --
> Joseph C. Kennedy
> on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston
> Josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx

Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
TOS Life Member
Kingsville, TX

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein