[texbirds] White-winged Scoter for three days at Tyler State Park

  • From: dkghrist <dkghrist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 18:15:31 -0600

This morning before dawn I was on a chase for another lifer, the
White-winged Scoter!  So far, many from our Tyler Audubon have seen her,
first by Boyd Sanders on Wednesday morning, then by Peter Barnes that
afternoon, the next day by Dennis Scott, Jan Cook (her 1000th species on
E-bird),& by Mike Bloodsworth. Today was my turn! As the mist disappeared
into the morning light there was a lone duck on the lake, a medium sized
brown female sea duck. It decided to swim toward me, diving, preening &
putting on a delightful display. It's distinct basal bill knob & white wing
patch is clearly seen in the attached photos.  Looks like another rarity
for east Texas!
Doug Ghrist
903 372-9195
dkghrist@xxxxxxxxx