[texbirds] White-tailed Kite, Ferruginous Hawk, Harlan's Hawk - Bell & Milam County (10/24)

  • From: Lee Hoy <leehoy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 20:10:02 -0500

Texbirders,
I went for a birding walkabout today driving many county roads in
Williamson, Bell and Milam counties focusing on roads I hadn't really driven
much, if at all.

This White-tailed Kite was just in Bell County at the intersection of Althea
Rd and Pasture Rd.  On Google map, you can see where Pasture Rd breaks off
and the bird was in the large Mesquite Tree down Pasture Rd. It still
retains a few of the rufous juvenile feathers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leehoy/10467047816/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leehoy/10467302946/

I was excited about this bird until I got to CR 402 in Milam County where I
had a Ferruginous Hawk and a Harlan's Hawk were being harassed by crows as
they were heading south.  I found them on CR 402 in Milam County south of FM
2268.

Neither are exciting photos, but at least diagnostic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leehoy/10467303826/ (Ferruginous Hawk)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leehoy/10467304756/ (Harlan's Hawk)

Had a few other nice birds like juvenile Yellow-bellied Sapsucker,
Roadrunner, but nothing else really worth noting.

Lee Hoy
Georgetown, TX