[texbirds] White Ibis sentry

  • From: Robert White <glqman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:31:34 -0800 (PST)

While heading to lunch a couple of hours ago, I noticed a flock of about 20
White Ibis feeding in a small stream in a field north of the Beltway in
northern Harris County.  One, however, was standing some distance away from the
rest, out of the water, and facing the other direction.  A short distance from
him (her?) there was a coyote lying in the grass.  It was clearly visible to
the Ibis.  I pulled over to get a better look.  The flock was feeding without
concern.  The Ibis never moved.  I don't know if the coyote was interested in
the Ibis.  He (she?) just lay there in the sun.
I had never noticed an Ibis sentry before, but I don't believe I've ever seen a
flock feeding in the presence of such a potential threat.

-Bob White
 Spring, TX