[texbirds] What duck is that?

  • From: dt <daletx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 09:10:04 -0500

Eastern Travis County (small pond on FM 973 across from Decker Lake),
Tuesday afternoon around 6:00.  I was taking photos of eight Northern
Shovelers, when I realized that one pair wasn't shovelers. Didn't get a
chance to look at them until last night.
http://tinypic.com/r/nc1gqo/8

Closer view of the pair:
http://tinypic.com/r/15cit7n/8

So, are those blue-winged teal, based on the head pattern of the male?
These birds seemed slightly larger than the shovelers.

$100 worth of new bird books, and they're at my girlfriend's house...

Dale Tilson
Western Bastrop County (usually)