[texbirds] Western Tanager

  • From: lmj6464@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 19:34:08 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Texbirders,

This morning I started at Paradise Pond in Port A which was slow at first (cold
and windy) but picked up about 10:00.  I also did the Birding Center and the
"Willows" on 361.

Early this afternoon I got a call from Mel Cooksey that he had three Blackpoll
Warblers and a male Cape May Warbler at Packery. (I don't want to steal his
thunder, but will anyway.)  I was on my way to Blucher, but did a U-turn and
headed to Packery.

I was able to find at least three male Blackpoll Warblers but missed the Cape
May.  The big find for me was a male Western Tanager in the big oak motte near
the intersection of Maria Isabel and Playa del Rey.  Packery was pretty birdy
for a while, but then tapered off about 5:00 pm.

The complete list of migrants for the day (not counting numerous swallows):

Broad-winged Hawk - Paradise Pond
Great-crested Flycatcher
White-eyed Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Swainson's Thrush
Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush
Black-and-White Warbler
Prothonotary Warber - male and female at Packery
Tennessee Warbler
Kentucky Warbler - Paradise Pond
Common Yellowthroat
Am Redstart
Norther Parula
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler - 3 males
Yellow-throated Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Wilson's Warbler - male, Packery
Summer Tanager
Scarlet Tanager
Western Tanager
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Painted Bunting
Dickcissel
Orchard Oriole
Baltimore Oriole - 2 males at the Willows and 1 female at Packery

Larry Jordan
Corpus Christi