[texbirds] Western Screech-Owl in Kimble County

  • From: George Baker <gn_baker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 19:13:19 -0700 (PDT)

Texbirders,
Spent the weekend at our ranch in northern Kimble County with a good mix of
spring arrivals (Vermilion and Ash-throated Flycatchers, Black-chinned Hummers,
Black-and-White Warblers, Hutton's Vireo (on 3/17)) and winter holdovers (Pine
Siskins, Ruby-crowned Kinglets (singing), Yellow-rumped Warblers (one bright
male "Audubons")); however, the biggest surprise came last evening while out
walking with my Dad around 9:20 pm when we clearly heard a Western Screech-Owl
calling.  The bird called frequently for at least 10 minutes and was giving the
textbook "bouncing-ball" call; we are very familiar with Eastern Screech-Owl
calls and it was not an Eastern Screech-Owl.  I checked Lockwood and Freeman's
Handbook of Texas Birds and they show Western Screech-Owls extending into the
western Edwards Plateau including Kimble County, so I don't think we're too
crazy.  I would like to hear of any other records in Kimble County just to get
an idea of how frequent they are in the county.  In any case, we were quite
excited and will be putting up an owl box asap in hopes of a future tenant!

Thanks,
Noreen Baker
Austin, Tx