[texbirds] Western Gull Austin

  • From: Kenny Anderson <kennya290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3) Collins" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 15:14:26 -0500

I broke one of my own rules including the Western Gull in my Austin Area
RBA summary, never publish 2nd hand reports.  I am only kind-of regretting
breaking it. This is the best sighting in my two-year stint as compiler,
and I chose to include it because the core of what Travis Audubon's RBA
purpose is to alert people what is being seen in the 60 mile circle.

The Austin RBA isn't a permanent ornithological record, and so it was my
wish to notify people who could be out looking for the gull.  I do not know
who found the gull, but I was privy to see one decent photograph.  I have
been asked not to pass it on and that is what I intend to follow. So, it
seemed like a folly not to relay what I had, what I could share.

Here is my description of the photo:

The photo shows an adult, dark mantled gull with pink legs and feet.  The
white on the face is clean, including the area around the eye.  White on
head clean including crown. The white on the nape is clean and unstreaked.
 Yellow, heavy, drooping bill with red spot on lower mandible.  Head
shape/crown peak consistent with Western. Scale and proportion look better
for Western than Greater Black-backed Gull.  It is my opinion that the
lighter mantle (note this is relative to dark-mantled gulls), darker eye
would suggest the northern population.  I may be over-reaching my skill on
source of population.

I am no gull expert; thankfully several that are have reviewed and. as far
as I have heard, all like Western Gull.  I have heard that the bird will be
submitted to TBRC and then we can all take a look.

My intention was to give folks a chance at re-finding this bird.  It seems
it may have left the area- all reports since the initial July 8 sighting
have been negative.  Apologies for contributing to any mystery; it is what
I could do.

Kenny Anderson
Austin