[texbirds] Western Grebes at Thompsons "NO"

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 15:06:51 -0400 (EDT)

I just came in from looking for 3 hrs for the Western Grebes with no luck.
Jan and I took the boat and ran around out there for an hour and she had to
 leave  so I spent 2 more hrs looking with no luck. One thing I noticed was
 that there are no Grebes of any species left out there. 2 weeks ago there
were a  lot of eared and some Horned but not now. There were still 8-10
Common Loons out  there though and maybe 150 Red-breasted Mergansers that had 3
Bonaparte's Gulls  feeding around them.

I ran all the way back into Tabs bay that goes under the Fred Hartman
Bridge and there were a few Lesser Scaup out there but that was all. I then ran

down the Ship Channel parallel with Atkinson Island to about marker 87-88
and  slowly eased down the Island back towards the barge cut. The only thing
of real  note there was a large group of mixed birds sitting on the shell
beach. There  were probably 200 Black Skimmers, Laughing Gulls, Ring-billed
Gulls, Herring  Gulls, Willets, and Sanderlings.

David  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
Chambers  County