[texbirds] Western Grebe at Lake O' the Pines, Marion county

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 20:53:33 -0600

The Tyler Audubon Society and NETFO had a field trip to Lake O' the Pines,
visiting Lakeside Park, Tejas Point, Pop's Landing (all in Marion county)
and Cedar Spring Park and the Hwy 155 boatramp (both in Upshur county). It
was initially cool and cloudy, then sunny and very pleasant.
A Western Grebe was seen near the dam at Lakeside Park. Duck numbers on the
lake were small, but we tallied 13 expected species. Approximately 25
Common Loons were observed, mostly at Lakeside Park, but we could not turn
any of them into Pacific or Red-throated Loons. Thanks to Mike Dillon for
taking us around.

Peter Barnes
Tyler