[texbirds] Western Flycatcher seen Sunday morning

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <FCollins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "1 Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 18:31:17 +0000

Randy Pinkston and I saw the putative Pacific Slope Flycatcher Sunday morning.
We arrived at Sabal Palm at 8:47 AM and after paying our entry fee and having a
conversation with the attendant we walked to the appointed spot at the
beginning of the Resaca boardwalk and found the bird at 9:08 AM. It foraged
low, sometimes actually on the ground just off the boardwalk. It eventually
worked up through the low trees and back and forth from the beginning of the
boardwalk down to the first jog in the boardwalk. Randy obtained many good
quality photos while I managed to only get one recognizable photo.
Thank God that good voice recordings of this bird have been obtained since
otherwise it would simple be a "Western" as it did not vocalize for Randy. I
would not have heard it regardless. Interestingly even though this may be a
new species for Texas, no other birders came in search of it while we spent the
entire morning in the area. Perhaps too many birders still remember the sting
of the Choke Canyon Pine Flycatcher. Then again, maybe few do and just don't
care about another Empidonax turning up in Texas.

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377
281-357-5324