[texbirds] Western Bluebirds in Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 16:37:56 -0500

Greetings All:
Phillip Kite located 7 Western Bluebirds near the Black-Tailed Prairie Dog
colony at the intersection of Canyon Lakes Drive and Avenue U this
morning. They were still present at 2:30 (at which time I got photographs
of all seven of the birds - they were all Western Bluebirds). The were
perching atop small trees and brush piles on both sides of Avenue U as well
as on the utility lines along Avenue U at this intersection. To paraphrase
Phillip, it is kind of odd to get Western Bluebirds in Lubbock before one
picks up Eastern Bluebirds during the season. Another oddity: we both
picked up White-throated Sparrow in Lubbock before we got White-crowned
Sparrow (in my case by minutes but Phillip has already had White-throated
Sparrows and has still not seen White-crowned Sparrow this season). Looks
like another weird winter.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock