[texbirds] West Texas Trip Summary

  • From: Bryan Tarbox <gme_btarbox@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tex birds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 16:52:14 -0700 (PDT)

Spent Friday the 8th through Wednesday the 13th in west Texas with my dad,
primarily to visit Independence Creek for their open day. Spent most of our
time in Big Bend, but also stopped by South Llano River SP, Balmorhea, the
Davis Mountains and the Christmas Mountains Oasis, with a total of 125 species.
This was our first time to Independence Creek, and it was quite nice. We also
stopped by the Sandia Wetlands in Balmorhea, which we'd never visited before.
Wasn't a whole lot there, besides a pair of Blue-winged Teal and a pair of
Cinnamon Teal. The ponds were all nice and full when we first stopped by, but
when we stopped by again on our way home (just 4 days later) the ponds were
almost entirely dried up. Pretty incredible.
Some highlights:
Willet: 6/13 same one reported by Tripp at Lake Balmorhea (missed the godwits,
though)White-faced Ibis: 6/9 Lake BalmorheaCommon Black-Hawk: 6/10 at Rio
Grande Village and 6/13 at Lawrence E. WoodsGray Hawk: 6/10 at Rio Grande
VillageZone-tailed Hawk: 6/8 at South Llano River SPBlack Tern: 6/9 - 3 at Lake
BalmorheaBand-tailed Pigeon: 6/11 - 4 in Pine CanyonGreat Horned Owl: 6/11
flying over the Chili Pepper Cafe in TerlinguaElf Owl: 6/9 pair at Davis
Mountains SPWhite-throated Swifts: 6/11 & 12 up Pine Canyon and on Pinnacles
TrailBlue-throated Hummingbird: 6/12 - 2 up Pinnacles Trail, 1 at feeders in
BasinLucifer Hummingbird: 6/12 - 3 at Carolyn's OasisBroad-tailed Hummingbird:
6/10 - 1 at McDonald Observatory feedersWestern Wood-Pewees: all over Lawrence
E. Wood picnic areaEastern Wood-Pewee: 6/9 - 2 at Independence CreekDusky
Flycatcher: 6/13 at Lawrence E. WoodCordilleran Flycatcher: 6/12 - one up
Pinnacles Trail, one on Window TrailBlack-capped
 Vireo: 6/8 at South Llano River SP (1) & 6/9 at Independence Creek
(1)Yellow-throated Vireo: 6/9 at Independence Creek (1)Plumbeous Vireo: Pair at
Lawrence E. WoodsWarbling Vireo: 6/11 at Cottonwood Campground (1)Mexican Jay:
6/12 all over Pinnacles Trail, some in the BasinViolet-green Swallow: 6/13 pair
at Lawrence E. Wood (perched in a snag, even)Gray-cheeked Thrush: 6/10 & 6/12
at Christmas Mountain OasisCrissal Thrasher: 6/10 - 2 at Dugout Wells, 1 at Rio
Grande Village; 6/12 - 1 at Sam NailColima Warbler: 6/12 - 3 singing at Boot
SpringsNashville Warbler: 6/9 - 1 singing at Independence CreekTropical Parula:
6/9 - 1 at Independence CreekYellow-throated Warbler: 6/9 - 1 at Independence
CreekPainted Redstart: 6/12 - 1 singing at Boot SpringsHepatic Tanager:
Lawrence E. Wood, Chisos BasinWestern Tanager: 6/10 & 13 - pair at Lawrence E.
WoodBlue Grosbeak: everywhere. my dad counted 18 at Carolyn's Oasis on
6/12Varied Bunting: Sam Nail & CMOBullock's
 Oriole: 6/9 - Balmorhea SPScott's Oriole: Sam Nail, Dugout Wells
Bryan TarboxTomball, TX