[texbirds] West Nile Virus and birds

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "1 Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:47:39 +0000

If you have ever wondered about the connection between birds and West Nile
Virus we will have a program tomorrow at Kleb Woods that will explain that. The
session will start with a bird catching, bleeding and banding demonstration.
Hope you will join us. The announcement for the program is below.

Hello all,

Kleb Woods will be having a special presentation, Everything you don't want to
know about mosquitos but should.  The program will be from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
this Thursday, June 20th.  Vence Salvato, Technical Operations Analyst for
Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services Mosquito Control Division,
will be presenting.  We will start by setting mist nets to catch birds.
Technicians then band the birds and take blood from them to test for disease.
Vence will then give a presentation in the auditorium on mosquito biology and
the diseases they transmit, including West Nile Virus and St. Louis
Encephalitis.

This program is free and open to the public.  It will be a great way for
everyone, young and old, to learn about both bird banding and mosquitos.  We
hope to see you all there.

Fred Collins
             (281) 357-5324
Director: Kleb Woods Nature Center