[texbirds] Weekend in West-Central Texas - Overview

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 20:23:08 -0500

TexBirders,

After leading a successful field trip for the Endangered Ones at Balcones on
Friday morning, I departed for drier terrain to take advantage of the migration
where there is nary a Golden-cheeked to be found.  Due to technological
glitches that are beyond my (or human?) comprehension, I was unable to send out
any email, although I dearly would have loved to.  My 2-1/2-day whirlwind trip
took me to/through the following areas:

Friday p.m.: McCulloch Co. - Brady and Brady Lake
Saturday:  Coke Co. - Spence Res., Robert Lee, Sanco Loop, etc.
Saturday: late afternoon, brief visit to Sterling City
Sunday:  Runnels Co., wide-ranging, notably Lake Ballinger.

I will post separate short notes about each of these efforts since some TCC
participants might have interest in various places.  I will be including
several comments on existing and some new (proposed) HotSpots in each county.

With the windy, hot weather, upland birding was particularly tough except for
about one or two hours surrounding sunrise.  Luckily, waterbirds were there for
the pickin’, and pick I did.  Briefly, I had these day lists:

McCulloch Co. - 68 spp in about 3 hrs in late afternoon
Coke Co. - 89 spp (including Poorwill only on Friday night)
Sterling Co. - 39 spp in 2 hrs on a hot windy afternoon
Runnels Co. - abt 91 spp on an amazing, tough day

I’m going to post a summary of the Runnels results first (next) just to invite
anyone in that area to get in on the shorebird action at Lake Ballinger ASAP.

Chuck Sexton
Austin