[texbirds] Webb County report

  • From: <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 0:40:05 +0000

I have bacon in the oven so my husband won't bother me to see what's for dinner
for a minute or two while I get this report out (it's blueberry pancakes and
fruit salad to go with the bacon, BTW).

Susan Foster and I made a quick run to Mirando City, about 40 miles east of
Laredo, and spent Sat. night at a friend's ranch.  The best birding was on
Sunday morning from 7:00 to 8:40 at the gate as we prepared to head to the
Valley:

1. Barn Owl swooped out of an abandoned building
2. Black-throated Sparrows and Verdin hopping around getting breakfast
3. Eastern AND Green-tailed Towhees
4. Harris' Hawk mom and dad
5. Lark Sparrows
6. etc. etc.

We were trying to get some new birds for Susan's Texas year list and were
successful there, but not in the Valley -- struck out on tyrannulet, screech
owl, parula and sapsucker.  Good thing the morning was so successful.

Judy Kestner
Corpus Christi