[texbirds] Re: We need a "bird of interest" program

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jlt290@xxxxxxxxx'" <jlt290@xxxxxxxxx>, "shawkins4@xxxxxxxxxxx" <shawkins4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:55:21 -0500

All -
As much as I despise the term "paradigm shift" (it was badly misused for so
long), I think it can be applied to this subject - we are now seeing multiple
ways to report bird sightings, and different groups like one or another method
better.    The truly "hooked in" birder will bounce in and out of them all with
regularity, while others of us will stick with the one(s) we are most
comfortable with.

Which method will survive?   I'm guessing an eBird-type of data entry and some
evolution of information dissemination.   Ugh, that sounds very high-falutin',
doesn't it?

Look at what has happened to bird records / verification over the past 40
years.   In the 70s, a rare bird record was expected to be accompanied by a
Field Sketch.   No sketch, no acceptance.   With the advent of digital
photography, even the British records committee expects (requires?) a digital
photo to accompany a rarity report.

The American Birding Association just had a long thread on their FaceBook page
dealing with the current crop of "young birders" and why they are not joining
the ABA.    The short answer is that their style of birding, record keeping,
and social interaction do not embrace a 40-year old birding model.

My own preference of action - longer, more detailed written reports to
TexBirds; short, punchy tidbits with photos to FaceBook TexBirds, and I have
not ever surfed eBird, nor signed up (yet) for eBird Alerts.

My 2¢ worth,

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi),  TX