[texbirds] Warblers and other birds at Blucher Park, plus Brown Booby, Corpus Christi, today

  • From: Peter Barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 20:09:28 -0500

Doug Ghrist and I birded Blucher Park for 2 hrs this morning and 2 more in the
afternoon. It was hopping with warblers, and we tallied 17 species, the best
being a Golden-winged, a Canada and 3 Ovenbirds (including one 20 feet up in a
tree!). We had 9 flycatcher species, including an Olive-sided behind the Nature
Conservancy house, Couch's, Western and Eastern Kingbirds, Brown-crested and
Great Crested Flycatchers. We also had a male Black-headed Grosbeak and a
female Yellow-headed Blackbird behind the Nature Conservancy house.

We visited the Port Aransas Birding Center and Paradise Pond in the afternoon,
and didn't add any warblers to those we saw at Blucher Park. Two Philadelphia
and a Blue-headed Vireo were at the Birding Center, and a Warbling Vireo was at
Paradise Pond.

The Brown Boobies were still on the rocks in the channel, a little north of the
Omni Hotel.

Peter Barnes
Tyler, currently in Corpus Christi