[texbirds] Waller County rice fields

  • From: "Harvey Laas" <hlaas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 11:39:55 -0500

The rice fields at the intersection of FM 359 and FM 529 are being flushed
to facilitate the rice coming up since we are short of rain lately.  This
morning a large number of shore birds were present.  Dowitchers,  Am. G.
Plover., both yellowlegs, BN stilts, one or two pectoral sandpipers and a
few smaller peeps.  Note that is the temporary flood not the permanent flood
in a couple of weeks, so the water will be present in any one field only a
couple of days.  Also, please be aware that tomorrow is the MS 150 bike ride
and three routes for the 15,000 riders converge at that intersection. I
would advise not being in the area until after 11 am.  After that it's down
to the stragglers and not bad.

Harvey Laas

10 miles North of Brookshire

And not going out of my gate tomorrow morning.