[texbirds] Waller County - Myiarchus flycatcher

  • From: "Harvey Laas" <hlaas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 21:03:37 -0600

This morning at 9 am, the 25th, I came across a Myiarchus flycatcher at the
edge of the woods along Bessie's Creek on our place.  I could not id beyond
ruling out ash-throated which would be the default bird for this time of
year.  It had too much yellow and appeared to large for ash-throated.  It
was perched in the very top of a dead tree some 30 feet off the ground.  It
flew up into and even taller tree before flying over to neighbor's place.  I
only got profile views.  I thought I heard a couple of calls, but there were
three noisy E. phoebes in the vicinity which interfered with hearing.
Interestingly one of the late malingering scissortailed flycatchers was
viewable from the same spot.  Went back at noon to see if it was around, but
no luck.

Also of note, apparently huge numbers of ducks roosted on the rice fields in
the FM 529/Buller Rd area last night.  At around 8 am I saw at least 1000
ducks and a like number of geese get up and head East.  The ducks were too
far to id, but that is the most I have seen in my part of the prairie in
some time, and I may be underestimating the number significantly.

Harvey Laas

10 miles N of Brookshire

Don't Believe Everything You Think