[texbirds] Waller County - Common Loon and other less exciting stuff

  • From: "Harvey Laas" <hlaas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 19:41:22 -0600

This afternoon (11/12/12) at 4:40 pm I found a winter plumage common loon on
the lower part of Pine Lake here on the ranch.  I called John Berner who was
able to make it out just before dark and also get a good look.
Unfortunately it was too dark by then to get a photo with my point and shoot
digital.  It's a highly unlikely bird for my neck of the woods.  Although
the lake has about eight surface acres most of it is shallow.  The lower
acre is 6 to eight feet deep - not the greatest loon habitat.  I assume the
bird will be gone by morning.

It is bird number 232 for the ranch since 2007.  Best bird I have had here
in awhile.  It has been a slow year so far compounded by work keeping me off
the ranch for more than normal.  The male vermilion flycatcher has returned
for his 3rd winter.  I assume he is the same one anyway since he stakes out
the same territory around the house each year.  It has been a good year for
black-bellied whistling ducks with at least 6 successful broods  reared on
Pine Lake.  The broods have been large, as well, with three of them rearing
15, 17, and 17 respectively.  The last two broods hatched around October
1st.  Duck numbers are beginning to really build with significant numbers of
fulvous whistling ducks, blue-wing teal, gadwall, widgeon, and green-wing
teal present.  Had my first ruddy duck in two years today.

Harvey Laas

10 miles N of Brookshire where we've been called loony more than once, but
today is the first proof of such.