[texbirds] Waller County - Buller Road

  • From: Laas Harvey <hlaas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 21:57:28 -0500 (EST)

The show at the Pederson Farms fallow rice fields is pretty good right now.
The area bounded by FM 359, FM 529, Buller Road and Zadelsky Road has lots of
birds. At noon today a brief check had 2 to 3 thousand snow geese being
harassed by 3 bald eagles - 1 adult and 2 two to three year-olds. There were 3
caracaras and a harrier in the air with the eagles. There were also several
hundred Northern pintails and large numbers of dark ibis. There were still
about 23 American avocets around along with a smattering of other shorebirds.
All in all it made for quite the show and I only had about 20 minutes to look
at it. I didn't even have time to check all the fields in the block. I would
highly recommend catching this sight on the fast disappearing prairie.

Also, I have about 12 roseate spoonbills hanging out at my home lake here which
is late for this time of year. I did have one stay until December 24th one
year, but not in a larger number like this. Hope the hang in til the 1st for
the CBC.

Harvey Laas
10 miles N of Brookshire
Where the cows are developing webbed feet