[texbirds] Waller Co. - last dates for sparrows and young pileateds

  • From: "Harvey Laas" <hlaas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 22:40:34 -0500

It appears all the winter sparrows have finally departed, so I thought I
would give a summation for those who track such things.  The last day for
the Eastern towhee was April 24th although it could have been around longer
the rains beginning on the 28th kept me from crossing creek to the location
for over a week.  The last day for Harris's sparrow was May 1st which is my
third latest date.  Had bird on May 2 and May 8 in other years. Last day for
white-crowned sparrow was 2 on May 12th which beats my old record by a week.
Last day for Savannah sparrow was May 20th which beats old record by 3 days.

The pileated woodpeckers nesting a few feet outside my back yard have at
least 2 young.   It is fun listening to the begging.

Harvey Laas

10  miles N of Brookshire

I guess Summer is finally here.  Not as thrilled about that as Brush.