[texbirds] Waller Co. - Purple Gallinules, nesting anhingas,Savannah Sp. and 1 bobolink

  • From: "Harvey Laas" <hlaas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 22:57:22 -0500

So this appears to be the year of the purple gallinule on the Laas Ranch.
This evening I finally was able to check things on pine lake for the first
time in over a week due to the recent rains.  I saw at least six purple
gallinules and believe I heard two more in the bulrush. There is also a pair
at the pond by my house making this far and away the most I've seen around
here in recent years.  Put them with the 15 or so coots and 12 or more
common gallinules in the two locations and it's and interesting sight.  Also
at pine lake there is a pair of anhingas nesting in the lone cypress tree.
They appear to be attended by 3 other anhingas, as well.  Found at least
five Savannah sparrows today which ties my late date for Spring.  There was
a lone bobolink singing away on the road this morning.  It looks like most
of them have left in the last few days.

Harvey Laas

10 miles N of Brookshire

This Mexican smoke can go away - purple haze indeed