[texbirds] Waller Co. Lingering malingerers (Harris' sparrow, Eastern towhee and other notes

  • From: "Harvey Laas" <hlaas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 22:51:35 -0500

There are still large numbers large numbers of white-crowned and Savannah
sparrows here on the property, although it appears some left last night
based on what I found just before dark today.  Also, significant numbers of
Lincoln's around some song and swamp sparrows, as well.  As of Monday there
was one Harris' at the spot where I feed near the house and an Eastern
towhee on the creek.  The towhee is apparently the same one we saw Jan 1st
during the Cypress Creek CBC.  It is the only E. towhee I've seen here this
year.  I've had Harris's and white-crowned into May in 2010 and 2011, but
we're beginning to close in on that.  There was still an Eastern Phoebe at
the barn yesterday, as well.

For the past 10 days I have only seen one of the two least grebes, so I'm
wondering if maybe one is on a nest.  The common gallinules have hatched at
least one set of young already.  And there are purple gallinules at two
locations.  On a rather cool note a pair of pileated woodpeckers have
apparently set up housekeeping in a dead water oak about 20 feet outside my
back yard.  Although I seen them around I had not noticed the hole until
yesterday when the Team Sapsucker guys were here scouting and pointed it
out.  Apparently I need to do a better job of looking under the shade of my
own nose.

Harvey Laas

10 miles North of Brookshire

Lots of lingerers, but still no warblers to speak of unless a YB Chat counts