[texbirds] Virginia Rail, other migrants at Hornsby Bend/Platt Lane

  • From: Sam Fason <scfason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 16:28:24 -0500

Nate McGowan and I birded Hornsby Bend and Platt Lane this morning. The
ponds and adjacent woods didn't have anything of note, although a singing
Black-throated Green Warbler on the river trail was nice. Platt Lane was
very birdy, however, with the highlights being a Virginia Rail that we
heard in Platt Pond. We originally hear what we thought might be a Virginia
Rail, and we played VIRA tape and it went nuts, giving its grunt call
pretty constantly for the better part of 20 minutes. Platt Pond was dry
until the recent rains, so it is likely a migrant bird. Also we had a sharp
looking Broad-winged Hawk, a snazzy looking male Anhinga fly-over, a pair
of Swainson's Hawks, and a pair of Bank Swallows amongst the Cliff/Cave
types over the river. Also, a couple of Scissor-tailed Flycatchers were on
the wire as we drove out.
BWHA: http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8622099395/in/photostream/
ANHI: http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8622099121/in/photostream/
STFL: http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8622099669/in/photostream/