[texbirds] Vireo Discussion

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 08:21:37 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

Privately I've gotten mixed feedback on the first vireo in the photo series
 on my latest blog:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2013%20Field%20Trips/October/Edinbur
g%20Scenic%20Wetlands.html

This was a bird seen at Edinburg Scenic Wetlands yesterday that I thought
at first was the reported Bell's Vireo, but after looking at the photos was
wondering if it was actually a juvie White-eyed (so far the vote is 2 for
Bell's, one for WE, and all from experienced birders).

Points brought up FOR WEVI:
    Flattish head
    Heavy bill
    Prominent double wingbar
    ...and personally, the specs looked too prominent  to me for Bell's, at
least compared to the Bell's I've seen in the past...

Points AGAINST WEVI:
    Big head
    Short tail
    Should be yellow in the specs by now

Discussions encouraged!  I'm heading out again today to try to nail  this
guy down for good!

Take care,

MB

Mary Beth  Stowe