[texbirds] Valley View Pond - Least Terns, Semipalmated Sandpipers, American Avocet, White Ibis

  • From: Christian Walker <christian.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 21:57:12 -0500

Hi,
I dropped by the pond Mary Ann Melton was at the other day, and the birding was
pretty good.  The Little Blue Herons she had seen were replaced by good numbers
of Snowy Egrets.  There were three Least Terns flying over the pond.  Two left,
but one stayed until after 8 o’clock. I also had an American Avocet, and
several Semipalmated Sandpipers.  Two of these were fresh good-looking
juveniles.  Three White Ibis flew over while I was here as well. I will
definitely be coming by here regularly as the pond continues to dry up.  Lots
of carp (?) were beached and rotting.
This pond is located just across the road from John F. Burke Nature Preserve.
Christian Walker
University of Dallas
Irving, TX
512 431-2495