[texbirds] Utopia and Lost Maples notes (long)

  • From: mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 20:06:26 -0700

Hi all,

Besides the 7+" of rain, a few recent highlights (for way out west
of 99W here) around yard or at park have been a few of the scarcer
warblers locally: a couple each of Chestnut-sided, Mourning, Ovenbird,
Tennessee, a single Magnolia, and a singing Cerulean today will be
the yard warbler of the spring methinks. You might only get one warbler
now, but it might be a good one.

Three times in the last month I have guided folks up Can Creek at
Lost Maples SNA, and I thought some might be interested in a note.
Great views of Golden-cheeked Warbler were had on all walks, as were
Black-capped Vireo on the two walks where we went up top of the canyon
to their favored habitat. The warblers in particular are pretty
secretive
now so it may take some walking, you might get lucky early on the trail,
if not, often past the ponds is best area, where the canyon narrows.
Begging babies will be out any time and they'll be easy again soon.

There were no detections of the previously reported Acorn Woodpecker
or Painted Redstart. Did see one while hearing another White-tipped Dove
just up-canyon from the trailhead feeding station. (I also had White-
tipped Dove calling at Utopia Park twice recently) One of the walks
had Zone-tailed Hawk, two had Scott's Oriole. There is a Zone-tailed
around Utopia as usual too.  The patty melts at the cafe are running
good.

As far as the habitat goes at Lost Maples I've never seen it in such
rough
shape.  While seemingly lush compared to much around it, it is like a
desert
compared to what it was.  I have taken this walk roughly a hundred
times.
The differences from just 10 years ago (much less 86-88) are as great as
those at Bentsen S.P. between 1971 and 1985, much less '95. The last 5
years
of drought have taken a very heavy toll.

In the last week there has been maybe 5-6 inches of rain there, so some
minor
improvement is on the way, at a surface level, though the big picture is
not
encouraging to my eye.  In the last three years I have seen at least 50
big
old trees fall. Trees that I've had many conversations with since the
mid-late
1980's that were way over a hundred years old then. There are holes in
the
canopy throughout that were never there.  The slopes are littered with
their
carcasses. The drastic habitat changes blow my mind.

The lack of good gully washers has filled both ponds in with silt, and
so
then cattails, so besides the creek not running above ground for more
distance
than ever, the ponds are more than half cattails.  Good for Red-winged
Blackbird,
not so much for Green Kingfisher. The spring 3/4 mile past the ponds
(the highest
permanent water) has never been so small or low.

Due to the drought, there are fewer flowers this year than I have ever
seen
here locally, at LM, or around Utopia.  It should not surprise that
there are
fewer butterflies, and insects in general, and I pay fairly close
attention
looking for them.  Of course there are fewer birds too.  The numbers of
birds are
way way down.  The species diversity is still there, but the numbers are
very low
compared to what was normal, just like the flying insects and water
table.  The
habitat and ecosystem is in a big drought hurt.  Hopefully this major
rain event
will offer some relief.....    I guess an inch at a time is too much to
ask?  ;)

happy feathers,
Mitch

Mitch Heindel