[texbirds] Utley..The small potatos

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 20:08:01 -0500

.
  What a great day to work outdoors and do nature.  Had a grand walkabout
this morning and some nice birds to boot.
I did not keep an eye to the sky but at least 100 raptors went over that I
saw.
Had a silent flock of ducks go over early that looked like wigeons (?)
3 N. Flickers...One on the walk this morning was on a dead oak snag soaking
up sunrise...In perfect light.  Awesome.  Just wished I had my little
camera.
2 Brown Thrashers, one of which I did photo (see Texbirds FB) in the yard.
My first heard only Catbird for the yard this fall
My first Hermit Thrush of the fall in the yard
Nashvilles came thru in small groups until around noon
A single female Black-throated Green
At least 9 Chimney Swifts
Still have a few hummers ....all RTHUs

My fav.s of the day...Two Bewick's Wrens...They breed nowhere close to me
here east off the Escarpment so these were migrants.  One was a reddish
non-cryptus subspecies, but was not the rare  nominate T. b. bewickii..Did
not have bins when the other came thru....The other fav. was my FOS
Sapsucker which I assume was the default YBSA...I was cutting brush and did
not have bins tho.

The Lincoln's Sparrow was joined at the feeder by a buddy this evening
along with a female Indigo.  Mockingbirds continue to pass thru in low
numbers.

  Before the front there were virtually zero butterflies here except a
couple of Giant Swallowtails flirting with the orange tree..  Today for the
first time in several months there were 7-8 Red Admirals.  Some well worn ,
others barely so, Migrants too.  They were drawn to a sappy Hackberry leak,
I had nothing to put out for them.  Also had two Monarchs.

  "Weeds" I almost cut down several weeks ago turned out to be the most
gorgeous goldenrod I have seen anywhere around here...Likely seed fell from
my truck's radiator from some pasture in another part of the state...Heavy
with bright yellow flowers, when lifted, the stalk towers over my head to
perhaps 7' tall...I like them so do the insects
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/